Local and small businesses are always worried about how they should advertise their business and what type of marketing will be most suitable for them. Because often, small businesses don’t have enough budget to explore all areas of traditional and digital marketing so they have to stick the one.
But which one is the most important concern for them. It will always be dependent on the nature of the business, the research applied and how well the ideal customer profile is defined. Also, what can’t be underestimated is the self-awareness of the skills and marketing resources within the company structure to achieve optimum results through each path.
Here we will discuss what type of marketing these are, pros and cons of the both and which one local businesses should choose, based on their situation.
Traditional marketing methods include newspapers, magazines, print media, billboards, sign boards, radio, TV, commercials and flyers and cars. This type of advertisement or marketing is often expensive with least possible results. The pros and cons are given below.
Pros of Traditional Marketing
- The brands and companies can reach their customers easily. The local companies can make the most use of local media channels, newspapers, and billboard locations can benefit from traditional marketing.
- The printed ads can be kept for record. The users or interested people view that again and again. Many times, the ads in magazines and newspapers attract people who pick the papers for time killing.
- People reading newspapers and magazines can easily understand such ads and marketing campaigns. As they have already been reading a certain paper so it will be facile for them to understand the ads.
Cons of Traditional Marketing
- With traditional methods of marketing, the company makes a little interaction with the audience. This is not something like you connect with the brand or company, rather you will have to call them for details or use their websites for information.
- Another downside of the printed ads is they are very expensive. The brands are supposed to design the ads for the newspapers. The design costs separately and the newspapers or magazines charge hefty amounts for ads.
- When it comes to analyzing the results of the ads and marketing through traditional media, the companies or brands cannot assess the results. They have no idea where the customers come from and what attracted them the most.
Digital marketing refers to ads and campaigns run through social media, social networking sites, in search engines, paid ads and platforms are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and such other sites. Further to this, search engine optimization and anything associated with online visibility.
Pros of Digital Marketing
- The companies and brands can target local as well as international audience. The digital ads are the best and effective way to connect with all kinds of customers and people.
- The audience shows interest in digital ads with illustrations. They can connect with the brand easily and interact too. They can further inform the brands how they want to receive their content.
- There is an increased interaction between the brands and customers. The social sites let them communicate with the companies and provide feedback or recommend something.
- It’s cost efficient and reduces the budget expenses.
- Data and results are available all the time. The companies can analyze them for assessment and further improvements.
Cons of Digital Marketing
- There are no extensive and major downsides of digital marketing and they have been proved the best and modern way to spread business, improve brand awareness and increase sales.
- With regards to costs, and more specifically, cost management – campaign tracking can be a connotation of digital marketing. That is knowing where the leads you are generating and the activity you are receiving is coming from. Google Analytics and alternative website traffic data tools can assist you in this, but implementing tracking can be quite complex.
- Prioritising which digital channel to focus on can be difficult. You do not want to spread your business too thin across every option. Instead, find ones with traction early on and give them your attention.
- Becoming too focused on vanity metrics and false activity can be a negative of digital marketing, especially through social media channels such as Twitter and Instagram, where the attention you are receiving can be irrelevant or even fake.